– Avalon Myanmar – Myanmar River Cruise – April 2017
*Azamara Club Cruises – Azamara Journey – Singapore to Dubai (April 8, 2018)
* Azamara Quest – Southeast Asia and Japan (February 2015)
– How Close to Luxury Can Celebrity’s Smallest Ship Get? – Part I
– How Close to Luxury Can Celebrity’s Smallest Ship Get? Part II
– How Close to Luxury Can Celebrity’s Smallest Ship Get? Part III
– How Close to Luxury Can Celebrity’s Smallest Ship Get? Part IV
– How Close to Luxury Can Celebrity’s Smallest Ship Get? – Some Final Observations and Thoughts
– The Prologue to the Travelogue
– The Adventure Begins…With a Bump or Two
– Settling In Made Easy
– Luxury Touches Here, There and OK, Not, Everywhere…But There Are Lots of Them!
– Asian Flair Onboard and On Shore
– Private Tours, Israel and Conflicts in Perceptions and Perspective
Celebrity Equinox 2009 – Egypt…Impressive and Depressing
– Dining With the Captain and the Reidel Wine Seminar
– The Last Dinner (Tuscan Grille) and Disembarkation
– What Happens When A Class Act Meets Highly Discounted Cruise Fare
– Lisbon to Monaco: Crystal As a “Move Up” & “Move Over” Luxury Option – Part I
– Lisbon to Monaco: Crystal As a “Move Up” & “Move Over” Luxury Option – Part II
– Lisbon to Monaco: Crystal As a “Move Up” & “Move Over” Luxury Option – Part III
– Lisbon to Monaco: Crystal As a “Move Up” & “Move Over” Luxury Option – Part IV (Food & Wine!)
– Princess Cruises Doesn’t Treat You Like Royalty; Celebrity Cruises Does! Which is a Better Value for the Upscale Cruise Guest? Part I
– Celebrity Silhouette vs. -Royal Princess – Which Is A Better Value For The Upscale Cruise Guest? Part II: The Standard Veranda Staterooms
– Celebrity Silhouette vs. Royal Princess – Which Is A Better Value For The Upscale Cruise Guest? Part III: Treating You Right From The Start
– Celebrity Silhouette vs. Royal Princess – Which Is A Better Value For The Upscale Cruise Guest? Part IV: The Wine Lists Speak Volumes (As Do The Beverage Packages)
Regent Seven Seas Voyager – August 2017
– Italy and Corisca 2014 – Part I
– Italy and Corisca 2014 – Part II (Getting There, The Stateroom and First Impressions)
– Italy and Corisca 2014 – Part III (“You Can’t Teach Five Star Service” and Bonafacio, Corsica)
– Italy and Corisca 2014 – Part IV (Calvi, Monaco, Portofino, Porto Azzurro…and Stale Bread)
– Italy and Corisca 2014 – Part V (My Last Day…and How The Chef’s Team Makes It Happen)
I know I have been on sort of a role about being a bit kinder to fellow travelers. I also know I have been a bit harsh in putting forth the message; I guess, in large part, because it seems like the ones that actually need the message won’t hear it otherwise.
You may recall the other day I posted on the Goldring Travel Facebook Page about a truly inspirational speaker I saw with my family by the name of Michael Fowlin. He had many great messages for teenagers, but also for adults. One of them was, “Stop doing what you are supposed to do and starting doing what you need to do.”
I really took that to heart and have really tried to change the way I do some things. Without trying to sound too virtuous, and without getting into specifics, I have done things like letting some important people know that they are really appreciated rather than just sending them a Christmas card…and they probably never actually perceived themselves as important to me. And rather than say to a waitress whose customer walked out on their bill, “Sorry”, I did something to assist.
So today I received another of the many emails I get from my 79 year old mother. (Remember when your grandmother would cut out articles from the newspaper and mail them to your parents? This is the modern version of that.) Anyway, she sent it because the video was shot in Red Bank, New Jersey (the home of Goldring Travel…and formerly a really good cigar bar seen in the background, but now closed).
This video, by Life Vest Inside, speaks to the same thing. Coincidence?
Sometimes people board luxury cruise ships and believe it is all about them. They paid their price and they demand all they believe they are entitled to. Sometimes those people forget that they are dealing with human beings and that the stewardess is doing her best, the hotel manager is trying to correct things for you, the food served by the waiter may not be perfect, but they are people.
So before you start yelling. Before you start posting how bad they are. Before you start adversely affecting other’s dreams of their cruise. Before you write as if your singular experience is authoritative and the dozens of more positive experiences must be a thing of the past or a sign of things to come (rather than an isolated instance): THINK.
Do you really think you NEED to yell, or berate or castigate? Or is just something that you decided you should do?
Goldring Travel LLC
12177 Business Park Drive, Suite 6
Truckee, California 96161
US: (877) 2GO-LUXURY (877-246-5898)
UK: 020 8133 3450
AUS: (07) 3102 4685
Everywhere Else: +1 530-562-9232