– Avalon Myanmar – Myanmar River Cruise – April 2017
Avalon Waterways – Myanmar – Part VI (Kya Hnyat to Kyauk Myaung)
Avalon Waterways – Myanmar – Part IX (The Ship: Avalon Myanmar)
Avalon Waterways – Myanmar (Burma) – Reflections: “Isn’t This Amazing!?”
*Azamara Club Cruises – Azamara Journey – Singapore to Dubai (April 8, 2018)
* Azamara Quest – Southeast Asia and Japan (February 2015)
– How Close to Luxury Can Celebrity’s Smallest Ship Get? – Part I
– How Close to Luxury Can Celebrity’s Smallest Ship Get? Part II
– How Close to Luxury Can Celebrity’s Smallest Ship Get? Part III
– How Close to Luxury Can Celebrity’s Smallest Ship Get? Part IV
– How Close to Luxury Can Celebrity’s Smallest Ship Get? – Some Final Observations and Thoughts
– The Prologue to the Travelogue
– The Adventure Begins…With a Bump or Two
– Settling In Made Easy
– Luxury Touches Here, There and OK, Not, Everywhere…But There Are Lots of Them!
– Asian Flair Onboard and On Shore
– Private Tours, Israel and Conflicts in Perceptions and Perspective
Celebrity Equinox 2009 – Egypt…Impressive and Depressing
– Dining With the Captain and the Reidel Wine Seminar
– The Last Dinner (Tuscan Grille) and Disembarkation
– What Happens When A Class Act Meets Highly Discounted Cruise Fare
– Lisbon to Monaco: Crystal As a “Move Up” & “Move Over” Luxury Option – Part I
– Lisbon to Monaco: Crystal As a “Move Up” & “Move Over” Luxury Option – Part II
– Lisbon to Monaco: Crystal As a “Move Up” & “Move Over” Luxury Option – Part III
– Lisbon to Monaco: Crystal As a “Move Up” & “Move Over” Luxury Option – Part IV (Food & Wine!)
– Princess Cruises Doesn’t Treat You Like Royalty; Celebrity Cruises Does! Which is a Better Value for the Upscale Cruise Guest? Part I
– Celebrity Silhouette vs. -Royal Princess – Which Is A Better Value For The Upscale Cruise Guest? Part II: The Standard Veranda Staterooms
– Celebrity Silhouette vs. Royal Princess – Which Is A Better Value For The Upscale Cruise Guest? Part III: Treating You Right From The Start
– Celebrity Silhouette vs. Royal Princess – Which Is A Better Value For The Upscale Cruise Guest? Part IV: The Wine Lists Speak Volumes (As Do The Beverage Packages)
Regent Seven Seas Voyager – August 2017
– Italy and Corisca 2014 – Part I
– Italy and Corisca 2014 – Part II (Getting There, The Stateroom and First Impressions)
– Italy and Corisca 2014 – Part III (“You Can’t Teach Five Star Service” and Bonafacio, Corsica)
– Italy and Corisca 2014 – Part IV (Calvi, Monaco, Portofino, Porto Azzurro…and Stale Bread)
– Italy and Corisca 2014 – Part V (My Last Day…and How The Chef’s Team Makes It Happen)
Tomorrow I depart for my Food & Wine Cruise sailing on the Seabourn Spirit from Athens to Istanbul.
Boy do I need it.
With the stock market a disaster, housing prices down and going lower because no one will lend money, people having their savings and retirement accounts decimated…and I could go on…how could now be the time to “need” a cruise????
The answer is exactly why we tend to cruise in the first place: To escape. To refresh. To Invigorate. To clear our heads.
It is for me, at least, time to be stepping back for a moment, to get away from CNN and to smell the fresh air and remember there is a reason that we live is to enjoy life and to find ways to remember that health and happiness is what really matters.
While I am very interested to see how the world’s economic problems are affecting Athens, Istanbul and the Greek islands and Turkish towns I will visit along with way, what I am really looking forward to – honestly – is having a nice local wine in Santorini while sitting on the cliffside in a small taverna with nothing more than a plate of fruit with my wife by my side. I am also looking forward to a morning in an ancient hamam (Turkish bath) as well as catching up with our “family” while we are in Istanbul.
Just thinking about these things helps me put the first paragraph of this post a little bit further toward the back and the joys of life just a little bit more toward the front of my mind.
To be sure, knowing I will be enjoying the luxury of extraordinary service and gourmet food while on the Seabourn Spirit does not hurt my efforts to be positive. In fact, in a way I almost feel guilty that I will be.
But I digress! The point is that I know when I return from my short trip I will be able to have a fresh perspective and that all the pundits, doomsayers (remember those who panicked and sold their portfolios before the big Dow run-up last week!), etc. will have had time to work through their machinations and probably will have moved on to the next problem or explain why the last “solution” was the wrong thing to do. The rumblings of that are already starting. (Remember, we were told on Friday that we had 7 days to give up $700,000,000,000 to the control of one person…and it is almost 7 days and we are still OK.)
So if you are thinking of cancelling a future cruise that you booked when things weren’t so bad because you cannot conceive of how things might get better or how you can justify such a luxury in these times, I would suggest you take a breath, wait and see what happens right up until that final payment is due and then, but only then, make that decision.
Goldring Travel LLC
12177 Business Park Drive, Suite 6
Truckee, California 96161
US: (877) 2GO-LUXURY (877-246-5898)
UK: 020 8133 3450
AUS: (07) 3102 4685
Everywhere Else: +1 530-562-9232
Fla Seller of Travel Re. No. W014898
California Seller of Travel No. 2127458-40
© 2020 Goldring Travel.