– Avalon Myanmar – Myanmar River Cruise – April 2017
*Azamara Club Cruises – Azamara Journey – Singapore to Dubai (April 8, 2018)
* Azamara Quest – Southeast Asia and Japan (February 2015)
– How Close to Luxury Can Celebrity’s Smallest Ship Get? – Part I
– How Close to Luxury Can Celebrity’s Smallest Ship Get? Part II
– How Close to Luxury Can Celebrity’s Smallest Ship Get? Part III
– How Close to Luxury Can Celebrity’s Smallest Ship Get? Part IV
– How Close to Luxury Can Celebrity’s Smallest Ship Get? – Some Final Observations and Thoughts
– The Prologue to the Travelogue
– The Adventure Begins…With a Bump or Two
– Settling In Made Easy
– Luxury Touches Here, There and OK, Not, Everywhere…But There Are Lots of Them!
– Asian Flair Onboard and On Shore
– Private Tours, Israel and Conflicts in Perceptions and Perspective
Celebrity Equinox 2009 – Egypt…Impressive and Depressing
– Dining With the Captain and the Reidel Wine Seminar
– The Last Dinner (Tuscan Grille) and Disembarkation
– What Happens When A Class Act Meets Highly Discounted Cruise Fare
– Lisbon to Monaco: Crystal As a “Move Up” & “Move Over” Luxury Option – Part I
– Lisbon to Monaco: Crystal As a “Move Up” & “Move Over” Luxury Option – Part II
– Lisbon to Monaco: Crystal As a “Move Up” & “Move Over” Luxury Option – Part III
– Lisbon to Monaco: Crystal As a “Move Up” & “Move Over” Luxury Option – Part IV (Food & Wine!)
– Princess Cruises Doesn’t Treat You Like Royalty; Celebrity Cruises Does! Which is a Better Value for the Upscale Cruise Guest? Part I
– Celebrity Silhouette vs. -Royal Princess – Which Is A Better Value For The Upscale Cruise Guest? Part II: The Standard Veranda Staterooms
– Celebrity Silhouette vs. Royal Princess – Which Is A Better Value For The Upscale Cruise Guest? Part III: Treating You Right From The Start
– Celebrity Silhouette vs. Royal Princess – Which Is A Better Value For The Upscale Cruise Guest? Part IV: The Wine Lists Speak Volumes (As Do The Beverage Packages)
Regent Seven Seas Voyager – August 2017
– Italy and Corisca 2014 – Part I
– Italy and Corisca 2014 – Part II (Getting There, The Stateroom and First Impressions)
– Italy and Corisca 2014 – Part III (“You Can’t Teach Five Star Service” and Bonafacio, Corsica)
– Italy and Corisca 2014 – Part IV (Calvi, Monaco, Portofino, Porto Azzurro…and Stale Bread)
– Italy and Corisca 2014 – Part V (My Last Day…and How The Chef’s Team Makes It Happen)
For years Park West has made huge profits on selling what I believe to be extremely overpriced “art” based upon pricing that is established through a “feeding frenzy” created onboard ships with novice “art collectors” running up prices on pieces they “just have to have”.
Today I read that Park West has let 40% of its staff go, its revenue (which was almost $300,000,000 annually) had dropped by 50-75%. It is, in fact, reported that Park West’s shipboard sales rose from $20 million-$22 million in the early 1990s to that almost $300 million figure in 2006 to early 2007.
The financial side of Park West is, because of a pending lawsuit against a competitor that has – Park West alleges – engaged in a smear campaign, has resulted in the disclosure of just how profitable the art auction business was/is. Park West claims it sells about 300,000 works of art a year, with the significant majority from cruise ship sales. Of your purchase price, the cruise line takes between 10% and 40% of the gross revenue. An additional 15% premium goes to Plymouth Auctioneering Ltd., who actually employs the auctioneers.
In other words, if you were to purchase an item for $2,500, between 25% and 55% is not going to the value of the piece, but rather goes to the revenue stream of two entities that don’t even own the piece being sold. Thus with the remaining 45% to 75% of the revenue remaining, Park West was/is still able to turn a pretty tidy profit.
Now, folks, please tell me how you don’t feel ripped off if you ever made a significant purchase from Park West. Doesn’t it make a $1.50 for a soda seem like a relative bargain?
And now, Regent Seven Seas Cruises: Please tell me why you believe it is appropriate to still have any association with Park West. It can’t be because you believe it adds value or class to the “luxury” experience, can it?
Disclosure: I, personally, have purchased some Park West “art” over the years…but at prices ranging from $50 to few hundred dollars. My purchases were “fun” purchases that had absolutely no expectation of investment or maintaining value. (This disclosure was made previously so if it is of interest, search Park West on this blog.)
Goldring Travel LLC
12177 Business Park Drive, Suite 6
Truckee, California 96161
US: (877) 2GO-LUXURY (877-246-5898)
UK: 020 8133 3450
AUS: (07) 3102 4685
Everywhere Else: +1 530-562-9232